Is there any documentation on the publisher list API?

I see that https://publishers-distro.basicattentiontoken.org/api/v1/public/channels returns the list of all publishers/creators, and I’m wondering if there’s any documentation on how the file is structured and ordered and stuff like that.

And I’m also curious if there are any plans to build out this API. For example, it would be amazing to be able to request just the delta in publishers since a certain timestamp, instead of the entire file every time.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good question, Daniel!

In general, the file is structured as a giant array of arrays. Each inner array contains values like the string representing the verified domain name (or YouTube channel), followed by some boolean values. The first boolean indicates verification status; the second boolean indicates exclusion status (such as for e-commerce websites, which are excluded by default).

If the user sets a custom tipping banner for their site, its properties will be enumerated in a JSON object. This contains the tipping banner description, the suggested BAT tipping amounts, URL for the cover photo, profile photo and any social media links. These key-value pairs/properties should be self-explanatory upon inspection.

And I’m also curious if there are any plans to build out this API. For example, it would be amazing to be able to request just the delta in publishers since a certain timestamp, instead of the entire file every time.

There are currently no plans to upgrade the API endpoint to only retrieve the delta after a given timestamp, but such a thing could always come in the future. Fortunately, with our new .gzipping, the publisher_list is not too large coming over the wire!

Bonus: From what I understand given our current implementation, searching the list to detect verification status has a time complexity of O(log(n)), which is good!